Monday, May 9, 2016

Riley's Birth Story

Riley Oliver Rinderknecht

Oh my goodness. I don’t even know where to begin. All I know is that I really wanted to get Riley’s birth story written down before I forgot any of it. It all started on Sunday May 1st at 6:25 am when I woke up to a contraction. I didn’t think much of it because I had been having contractions for the past couple of weeks and they hadn’t been consistent. However, I was a bit surprised when about 3 minutes later I had another one. I still didn’t think much of it though and figured that I just needed to pee. After I had gone to the bathroom I immediately had another one. It was a bit more intense and something just told me I was in labor. I texted my mom who was downstairs and told her that I thought I was in labor. Crazy right?! I had only had 3 consistent contractions but I just knew it. 

My mom quickly came upstairs in time for me to have my 4th contraction. She told me that she thought we should go to the hospital, but I told her that I wanted to take a bath first to see if the contractions would stop. She didn’t think it was a good idea, but I was pretty insistent. Rosalie was still asleep, so I handed her the baby monitor and headed into the bathroom to take a bath. However, as soon as I walked into the bathroom I got another hard contraction and knew that getting to the hospital needed to be my main priority. I told my mom this and we started getting ready to go. 

We were both in the car about 10 minutes and a few contractions later. I had to stop for contractions as I was getting ready so it took me a bit longer than expected to get out the door. Just as we got in the car I told my mom that I had forgotten my camera and that I really wanted it. She immediately said “This isn’t good!” haha, which she was right, but I insisted and she quickly ran inside to get it. Seriously my mom is super women! 

If you are wondering why my mom was with me through all of this, and not Chanse, it is because he was out of town. He had just got back from a Geology trip the Bahamas late the night before and was in Provo and planning on driving home that morning. I called him after my 3rd contraction and told him to hurry home because I thought I was in labor. He was seriously up and on the road about 5 minutes after I called him. 

So anyways, back to the story. My mom quickly drove the 10 minutes to the hospital and the contractions were about 2 minutes apart at this point. I even looked over at my mom as we were driving there and said, “I’m not going to get my epidural am I?” She wouldn’t say either way, but I think we both knew the truth haha. We parked and I actually had to stop and sit down for a second on the way to labor and delivery because I had to wait out a hard contraction. As soon as we saw a nurse I said to her, “I think I am in labor because I don’t know what else this could be.” Looking back it was obviously a stupid thing to say, but at the time I couldn’t believe how fast everything was progressing and was still in shock that I was actually in labor. 

The nurse quickly took me back to the room and had me get into my gown so that she could check me. The contractions just kept coming and were getting closer and closer. She hurried into check me, and said that my bag was bulging (my water), and that I was 8 centimeters dilated! I was seriously in shock! She asked if I was planning on getting an epidural and I told her that I would love one if at all possible. She said she thought I could do it on my own and wasn’t sure if there was time for me to get an epidural but that she would do her very best.  They hurried to call the doctor and at this point my contractions were right on top of each other. They tried to check me again a couple of minutes later but my contractions were basically non-stop so it was really hard for them to get a second to check me. 

The doctor was there fast and he checked and said I was at a 9! He said that he could wait for the anesthesiologist to come to see if an epidural was possible, but that he thought it would go very fast if he just broke my water. I was trying to formulate a response in my head for him but my contractions were non-stop and it was taking everything I had to focus and try and hold still through the pain. My mom said the doctor was so patient and waiting for me to respond, but I just couldn’t. 

I never actually did respond because I suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to push and said, “I feel like I need to push.” The doctor quickly stepped into break my water and it broke on it’s own at the same time. I gave a hard push and Riley’s head was right there. I pushed again and out it came. They told me to look down so I could see his head and it was so amazing and so surreal! Then I pushed once more and he was born. It was 7:55 am. He was a tiny 5 pounds and 19 inches long. He starting screaming soon after he was born and it was the best sound in the world. They handed him right to me and it was wonderful to finally hold that precious little guy in my arms. 

I had my very first contraction at 6:25 am, arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am, and he came into the world 25 minutes later. It was FAST! My labor with Rose was 2 hours and 38 minutes, and I was told that my next would be faster, but I never realized just how fast. After I had Rose my doctor looked at Chanse and said, “You better bring your wife to the hospital as soon as she starts having contractions with your next one or you will be delivering the baby at home or in the car.” And oh boy were they right! After having Riley, one of the nurses was actually telling me how to deliver a baby at home because she honestly doesn’t think I am going to even make it to the hospital for the next one! 

Chanse called my phone minutes before Riley was born, but I couldn’t answer so my mom told him what was going on and that the baby was almost here. I called him right after Riley was born and told him that he had a healthy son. I was sad that he couldn’t make it but I knew that he had done everything in his power and would be there soon and that was all that mattered to me. 

Riley looks just as much like his daddy as Rosalie did, and is so handsome. He is a champion at nursing and never lost weight after he was born. He weighed 5 pounds 2 ounces when we left the hospital on Monday afternoon and weighed 5 pounds 8.5 ounces on Wednesday at his doctor’s appointment. He is such a good baby and we feel so blessed to have him in our family.


  1. What a sweetheart! Congratulations!!

  2. How exciting, and crazy! You're awesome Rachel! Congratulations on your beautiful family!! ��

  3. What an incredible story! I can't believe how quickly you gave birth! Congratulations on your new addition!

  4. oh my this is so adorable!! Hope you have a great day, loves!

  5. Just precious! It makes me teary reading this thinking back through the birth of my 3 kiddos. Such an amazing experience.
    Beautiful pictures. Congratulations!
    Tuesday Fashion Party Link-Up!

  6. Great post! So beautiful!


  7. Aww congratulations!! Such beautiful pictures :) I am due with baby #2 later this month and I truly hope he comes out as fast as Riley did! Thanks for sharing! <3

    xo Raina

  8. Aww he is SOOO adorable and that head full of hair is even better. Yay for a fast delivery!
    Thank you for linking up to "Bloggers Who Have Inspired Me"
    Rachel xo

  9. Soo cute!! Congrats dear!!
    Love from {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

  10. So precious! And i love that name. Congrats!

    xo, Skylar

  11. So precious! What a cute name too! Congratulations!

    xo, Skylar

  12. Oh how exciting! I am so glad your mom was with you! My husband is out of town sometimes, too. I had to write down both of my birth stories right away, too. You really can forget just all of the details if you don't. Thanks for sharing!!! Such a beautiful baby! Congrats!


  13. So precious!! Beautiful!
    Mademoiselle Coconath

  14. Oh this takes me back to my little 5 pound baby, so precious! Congratulations!


I love reading your comments! :)